New tree dead because of mushrooms
We planted a brand new Juniper near 2 other Junipers . Around them we placed weed barrier and rocks. The tree died I believe because of the infected area.
We removed the tree and removed all the mushrooms around it and dogged and removed some dirt to make sure there wasn’t any left. 2 days after the hole was full of mushrooms again.
Since I have well established junipers nearby I don’t want them to die.
How can I control this? Are they poisonous? I have a dog and a toddler.
I’m not a professional at mushroom identification, particularly from photos. And although you provide 4 pictures, which is good, I really don’t know.
But, out of an abundance of caution, let’s assume they are poisonous.
So… to get rid of them.
1. Remove Organic Matter: Remove any decaying organic matter, such as fallen leaves, twigs, or mulch, as it provides a food source for fungi.
2. Improve Drainage: Address any drainage issues in your garden to reduce standing water and overly moist conditions. Mushrooms like wet places!
3. Aerate the Soil: Aerating the soil can help reduce soil compaction and improve drainage, making the environment less conducive to mushroom growth.
4. Apply Fungicide: If you suspect that the mushrooms are harmful, you can apply a fungicide to the affected area. However, use fungicides cautiously and follow the label instructions carefully.
If you don’t feel comfortable using a fungicide where your dog and toddler play, some people have claimed to have had success treating the soil with water mixed with a squirt of dish soap.
Finally, maybe consult a local arborist or plant pathologist. Many mushrooms are actually beneficial to plants and tress. If that is the case here, your tree may have died for an unrelated reason.
Hope this helps a little!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Mushroom questions.
Before you go, please tell us what you want to know more about...
Create your own user feedback survey